Alayna May

Alayna May
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pat the Playwright!


We all knew that Pat had many talents but did you know that he has a real knack for playwrighting. In February he wrote his first play entitled "Juke Box Saturday Night". Here's a little taste of the action...
It's a special day at WXPI Pittsburgh because the Phil Griffin Orchestra, the number one swing band in America, is coming to perform live on the Jukebox Saturday Night Broadcast. However, no one on the staff counted on seven feet of snow on this particular day. The band is stuck in Philadelphia, so who is going to perform on the show? As that old saying goes, the show must go on...
So he entered it into the Newburgh Free Academy's (a performing arts high school in upstate NY) Playwrighting Festival and won! His play was featured in their night of one-acts. We later found out that there was between 200-300 submissions and his play was one of only 12 selected(the drama teacher's first pick and favorite, I might add!). So on May 15, we got into the car and started our journey upstate to see the show. Let's just say (putting it nicely) the traffic was horrendous! But we got there in one piece. It was so amazing to see Pat's work actually fleshed out. But the best part was after all the shows were over. We were able to meet the director, who was a senior, and was so thrilled that Pat had come to see the show. She was in awe of him and his writing. It was just so incredible that Pat's writing touched this group of students so immensely. They had such wonderful things to say about him and I almost couldn't contain how proud I was to be standing by his side. Pat is currently developing another play...this time a full length. So we'll keep y0u posted about his progress.

2 comments:

aunt debbie said...

Well, no one could be more excited about this than me because I GRADUATED FROM NEWBURGH FREE ACADEMY !!!!!!!!!! How strange is that.I guess the "it is a small world" is really true. I am so happy for Pat and VERY PROUD too!
CONGRATULATONS!

Rebecca said...

Pat is so modest. Tricia, I think at rehearsal you mentioned Pat started writing plays, but no one mentioned this contest! Congratulations! And how nice that it was student directed and performed. That's really special. I'd love to read it. And I can't wait for the full-length play to be complete.